Whether you are craving a flavourful Indian rice dish or just looking for an easy way to use up your leftovers, a tangy tomato rice recipe is a perfect choice for you. This is a quick, easy, and delicious recipe that is packed with exciting flavours to tantalise your taste buds. If you are tempted by the dish and looking forward to cooking it in your kitchen, here’s an easy recipe for you. Follow this tomato rice recipe and make the tastiest rice ever.
About Tomato Rice
Tomato Rice, a.k.a tomato biryani, is a spiced rice that is traditionally cooked in South India. This dish has various versions, like one with mustard seeds and curry leaves and another with coconut meal. Regardless of the way you cook, it is packed with fresh herbs, whole spices, and ground species that ensure an aromatic, delicious taste.
While you can prepare this tomato rice recipe with any rice you have, it tastes best with long-grain basmati rice. Its fluffy, separated rice grain is ideal for the biryani. To get the best quality basmati rice, you must check out Veer Overseas. Their high-quality, optimal-texture rice will help you prepare a lip-smacking dish.
Recipe Card For Tomato Rice
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Cuisine: South Indian
Serving: 2 people
- 2 cups rice
- 2 tbsp. Oil
- 1 tbsp. mustard seeds
- Whole spices
- Ground Spices
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 2 green chilis
- Grated ginger and garlic
- 2 large tomatoes
- Few cashews
- Curry leaves
- Coriander leaves
- Salt, to taste
- Poppadoms (optional)
- Common spices like chilli, turmeric, etc.
Steps To Follow For Tomato Rice Recipe
Once you gather all the ingredients, follow the given recipe step-by-step.
- Firstly you have to cook your basmati rice. For this, take your 2 cups of rice and soak them in the water for, say, 10-15 minutes. Then, drain the water and cook them in boiling water for 20-30 minutes until softened. Make sure you won’t overcook or undercook the rice.
- Now take the rice, drain the water completely and keep them aside to cool.
- Afterwards, take a deep pan and add oil to it. Put mustard seeds, green chillies, and garlic and cook them until spluttering.
- After that, add onion to it and cook it until soft.
- Add tomato and ginger to it and give a good mix. Once it turns soft and mushy, add spices according to your taste. You can add turmeric, red chilli, coriander powder, and other spices as per your liking.
- Saute it nicely and cook it for another few minutes. Then, add your cooked rice to it and mix gently.
- Then, cover the pan with a lid and cook it on simmering gas for a few minutes to let it absorb all the spices.
- Finally, serve it hot with poppadoms or raita.
Pro Tips To Follow
- Before using whole spices, you can dry roast and grind them to enhance the flavours.
- If you like the richness of coconut, you can use coconut oil for cooking.
- Using leftover rice will be a great choice for better taste.
- You can add pudina leaves, as it provides a great aroma to the rice.
These are a few simple steps for preparing a delectable plate of tomato rice. This tomato rice recipe is slightly spicy and can be prepared easily in less than an hour. Try this recipe and please yourself and your loved ones with an exciting meal. Enjoy!