A Shahi Style Rice Recipe, Shahi Pulao recipe is a royal delicacy that has been relished since the era of Sultans, and emperors in India. Cooked with spicy and aromatic vegetables, Shahi Pulao is a gourmet cuisine worth savoring.
Shahi Pulao Recipe Ingredients:
1 cup rice preferred basmati rice available in Indian grocery stores
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter or ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- About 1 inch piece cinnamon stick (dal chini)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- About 1/4 cup cilantro finely chopped (hara dhania)
- 2 cups water
- About 3 cups mix vegetables I am using cauliflower cut into small floret, green beans cut into small pieces, bell pepper cut into cubes, and frozen green peas,
- 1/2 cup paneer cut into about 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 cups tomatoes chopped
- 1 green chili cut into pieces
- About 2 tablespoons ginger cut into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- 2 tablespoons coriander powder (dhania)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup cashew powder
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- Wash rice gently changing water several times until the water appears clear.
- For fluffier rice, the rice should be soaked for at least 15 minutes prior to cooking.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Oil is the right temperature when one cumin seed dropped into the oil cracks immediately.
- Add the cumin seeds. When they crack, add the cinnamon stick and stir for a few seconds. Add the rice, cilantro, and salt. Stir-fry one minute.
- Add the water and bring to a boil, turn the heat to low. Cover the pan, and Cook 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the water has evaporated. Turn off the heat and fluff the rice with a fork.
- Blend tomatoes, green chilies and ginger to make a puree. If you prefer mild take the seeds out of green chili before blending.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Over medium high heat oil should be moderately hot, add the cumin seeds, and asafetida, as seeds crack add tomato puree, coriander, turmeric, sugar and salt.
- Lower the heat to medium, stir the spice paste occasionally when it start thickening add cashew powder and cook until paste become the thick and start leaving the oil from side.
- Add all the vegetables and 1/4 cup of water, mix it well. Cover the pan and let it cook for about 5-6 minutes over medium heat stir few times in between. Add paneer mix and cover the pan, cook for another 3-4 minutes. Vegetables should be tender not mushy.
- Turn off the heat add garam masala and cilantro, stir and cover the pan for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve the vegetable over hot rice.